Office of the Deputy Adjutant General for Veterans

Building S-O-47, FTIG
Annville, PA 17003
Alvin Thomas

VA Accredited Claims Agent

2814 Walbert Ave, Unit 3
Allentown, PA 18104

(Not affiliated with the Veterans Administration or any government agency.)


Veterans and survivors who are eligible for a VA pension and require the aid and attendance of another person, or are housebound, may be eligible for additional monetary payment. These benefits are paid in addition to monthly pension, and they are not paid without eligibility to Pension. Since Aid and Attendance and Housebound allowances increase the pension amount, people who are not eligible for a basic pension due to excessive income may be eligible for pension at these increased rates. A Veteran or surviving spouse may not receive Aid and Attendance benefits and Housebound benefits at the same time.


The Aid & Attendance (A & A) increased monthly pension amount may be added to your monthly pension amount if you meet one of the following conditions:

You require the aid of another person in order to perform personal functions required in everyday living, such as bathing, feeding, dressing, attending to the wants of nature, adjusting prosthetic devices, or protecting yourself from the hazards of your daily environment

You are bedridden, in that your disability or disabilities requires that you remain in bed apart from any prescribed course of convalescence or treatment

You are a patient in a nursing home due to mental or physical incapacity

Your eyesight is limited to a corrected 5/200 visual acuity or less in both eyes; or concentric contraction of the visual field to 5 degrees or less


This increased monthly pension amount may be added to your monthly pension amount when you are substantially confined to your immediate premises because of permanent disability.


You may apply for Aid and Attendance or Housebound benefits by writing to the Pension Management Center (PMC) that serves your state. You may also visit your local regional benefit office to file your request. You can locate your local regional benefit office using the VA Facility Locator.

You should include copies of any evidence, preferably a report from an attending physician validating the need for Aid and Attendance or Housebound type care.

The report should be in sufficient detail to determine whether there is disease or injury producing physical or mental impairment, loss of coordination, or conditions affecting the ability to dress and undress, to feed oneself, to attend to sanitary needs, and to keep oneself ordinarily clean and presentable.

Whether the claim is for Aid and Attendance or Housebound, the report should indicate how well the applicant gets around, where the applicant goes, and what he or she is able to do during a typical day. In addition, it is necessary to determine whether the claimant is confined to the home or immediate premises.


Under current law, VA recognizes the following wartime periods to determine eligibility for VA Pension benefits:

Mexican Border Period (May 9, 1916 – April 5, 1917 for Veterans who served in Mexico, on its borders, or adjacent waters)

World War I (April 6, 1917 – November 11, 1918)

World War II (December 7, 1941 – December 31, 1946)

Korean conflict (June 27, 1950 – January 31, 1955)

Vietnam era (February 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975 for Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period; otherwise August 5, 1964 – May 7, 1975)

Gulf War (August 2, 1990 – through a future date to be set by law or Presidential Proclamation)


It is also of benefit to mention that our local congressman usually have someone on their team that can file applications and walk you through the process. It is also a little known fact that the application process can be expedited if the applicant is over the age of 90 or if they have a dementia diagnosis.


Rothkoff Law Group
toll free: 877-475- 1101

Bucks County Elder Law
215-493- 0727

To Experience All the Luxury & Care of Allegria